PRESERVE OUR PAST HONORS INDIAN CASTLE BOARD WITH RESTORATION AWARD
Preserve Our Past of Little Falls has presented its 2016 spring preservation award to the board of directors of Indian Castle Church. This effort has been an on-going process since 1970’s when the Mohawk Indian mission church erected by Sir William Johnson was the victim of arsonists. Donations from all over the United States have been received to enable the extensive process to continue. After the fire, the roof and burned siding were replaced and painted. The pews were cleaned, repainted and new windows of a correct style were installed. In 2014 the sills in the south and east elevations were replaced, two carrier beams shored up, frieze and clapboards replaced, the bell tower repaired and the building repainted. Current projects include completing the interior of the building, replacing the limestone steps at the entrance and making the building handicapped accessible. When the 1769 date above the door was discovered to be copper, the numbers were cleaned and replaced in their original position.
Mrs. Eileen Wagner, board chairperson, reports that the next project under the board’s direction will be the replacement of the current roof with one of red cedar shakes, an appropriate choice for the age and style of the building, and will be under the supervision of Little Falls Construction, a local restoration company. Donations to the Indian Castle Church Restoration fund may be sent to the chairman Eileen Wagner, Box 172 Route 5S, Little Falls, NY 13365
Submitted by Nan Ressue, Chair